Each year homeowners face the possibility of flooding, whether it’s from melting snow or a pipe burst. It’s important to stay prepared and to protect your home if you live in or near a flood zone. Although you can’t stop a flood, you can minimize the impact that water has on your home. Below are a few tips to help you keep water from invading or destroying your home.
Have a Plan of Action
Most flood damage occurs because homeowners are unaware of the flooding in their homes at first. The best thing you can do if you think you live in a flood zone is to have a plan of action in advance. Here is a checklist of items to consider:
● Store all important documents in a watertight secure lockbox
● Have a second lockbox for jewelry and all valuables
● Keep phone numbers for moving companies and storage units in case you have enough time to move your furniture and other possessions
● Contact A&A Property Restoration in advance and set up a game plan for protecting your home or getting quick service after a flood
Invest in Sandbags and Flood Barriers
Let’s face it, sometimes homes are simply susceptible to water damage. Lower flood water, however, can be contained by simply laying out sandbags and flood barriers around your doors. Even if some water manages to get, sandbags and flood barriers can minimize the damage and save you thousands of dollars in home repairs.
Rethink Your Home’s Construction
If you are building a new home or renovating your current home, then invest in components that are waterproof or create a tighter seal around the structure. Some of these components include:
● Concrete flooring instead of wooden floor boards
● One-way valves in your plumbing to prohibit water backup in the plumbing system
● Water proofing electrical outlets
● Cement render and lime plaster
● Water resistant doors and window frames
● Flood skirts around brick homes
If your home has recently suffered from flood damage, then contact A & A Property Restoration. We offer complete water damage service for home and business owners in the Eden Prairie, Minnesota area. You can call us at 952-847-0500 or message us online!